- the full name is Public Law 480 also known as "Food for Peace" is a funding avenue by which US food can be used for Overseas Aid.
- the full name = Public Law 480 is " Agricultural Trade Development Assistence Act", signed on Law on july 10, 1954 by President Dwight D Eisenhower.
- in 1961, president John F.Kennedy renamed it as "Food For Peace".
- it has 4 parts:
- PURPOSE OF PL 480 PROGRAMME :
- combat world hunger & malnutrition
- promote sustainable development including agricultural development.
- expand international trade
- develop & expand market for US Agriculture commodities & products.
- foster private enterprise & democratic participation.
TITLE 1 IS TRADE & DEVELOPMENT ASSISTENCE (managed by USDA):
- it allows concessional sales of agriculture products to friendly developing nations, either by government to government or government to private activities.
- concessional terms are very favourable it can be long term credit upto 30 years, with no minimum repayment for 10 years, grace period for payment of principle upto 5 years at low interest of 2-4%.
- programme is flexible & allow facilitate collaboration with international bodies such as world bank in support of development programme.
PRIORITIES GIVEN ARE:
- countries with little foreign exchange
- countries with food security problems
- program with alleviate poverty as the core.
- countries with agriculture developmental needs.
- receipent's countries must also demostrate potential to become commercial markets for US Agri Products.
- main use is -- allow donation of US agri products meet humanitarian food needs, emergency & non-emergency food aid activities support broader USAID.
RECIPANTS CAN BE ANY OF FOLLOWING :
- PVO = Private Voluntary Organisation
- NGO = Non Government Organisation
- IO = International Organisation & World Food Programme.
- development food aid (non-emergency)
- health & nutrition program
- agriculture (food-for-work, food-for-agriculture)
- educational programe
- humanitarian relief
- vulenrable population
- micro enterprise development
TITLE 3 IS FOOD FOR DEVELOPMENT (manage by USAID) :
- it is a government to government grants to least developed countries.
- aim at addressing food & nutrition problem, countries most in need of food to enhance long term food security.
- privatisation of food market
- attract poor children to school
- address chromic food short fall.
- infrastructure development - Roads.
- established in 1986, re-authorised by 1996 Farm Bill Act.
- it is not a food program, but a short term technical assistance by linking american volunter farmer with developing countries farmers.
- program was established aimed mainly at the NIS of ex Soviet Union.