From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Justice G.T. Nanavati commission was established by the Indian Government in 2000 to investigate the 1984 Anti-Sikh riots.
The commission was appointed by the NDA government on May 8, 2000 to look into certain matters emnanting from the 1984 Anti-Sikh riots. The one-man commission consisted of former Supreme Court of India justice G.T. Nanavati.
The probe panel had four points of reference. It was mandated to look into the sparks that led to the genocide targeting members of the Sikh community; the sequence of events; whether these crimes could have possibly been averted and whether there were any lapses on the part of the authorities; to inquire into the usefulness of the administrative measures taken to stop and to deal with the violence; and to recommend solutions to be adopted to serve justice.
The report was 185 pages long.The commission submitted its final report in February 2004 detailing accusations and evidence against senior members of the Delhi wing of the then ruling Congress Party, including Jagdish Tytler, later a Cabinet Minister, MP Sajjan Kumar and late minister H.K.L. Bhagat. They were accused of instigating mobs to avenge the assassination of Indira Gandhi by killing Sikhs in their constituencies.
Role of Delhi Police
The Commission also held the then Delhi police commissioner S.C. Tandon directly responsible for the riots.
There was widespread protest against the report as it did not mention clearly the role of Tytler and other members of Congress Party in the 1984 Anti-Sikh riots. The report led to the resignation of Jagdish Tytler from the Union Cabinet. Few days after the report was tabled in the Parliament, The Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh also apologised to the Sikh community for Operation Blue Star and riots that followed. The report stated that Jagdish Tytler "very probably" had a hand in the riots.
MORAL OF THE STORY AS IT HAS TO BE
The report had been lambasted by the Congress dominated UPA government but the BJP has accepted the report and criticized the Congress party as "guilty".
- ► 2015 (40)
- ► 2014 (83)
- ► 2013 (220)
- ► 2012 (76)
- ► 2011 (140)
- ► 2010 (525)
- ज्वाला-दिजू की जोड़ी ने इतिहास रचा
- Zero Inflation
- Khilafat and Non-Cooperation Movement
- चंद्रयान मिशन हुआ समाप्त
- Total view of India's military and foreign r...
- The burden of injustice
- Challenge of food inflation
- Colombo names new Foreign Secretary
- Union bill to make rain-water harvesting compulsor...
- Grid Computing.
- TERMS USED IN DIFFERENT GAMES & SPORTS
- TYPES OF WATER REACTORS
- Half of panchayat seats for women
- World record benchmark in solar energy by Australi...
- महिला आरक्षण विधेयक
- Goods and Services Tax (GST)
- Review of Constitution
- Role of Gandhi in Independence Struggle
- निर्यात का 200 अरब का लक्ष्य निर्धारित
- Land Acquisition Act 1894
- Ashoka Chakra
- Domestic Voilence Act
- Population Geography and Transport
- Indian Army inducts first indigenous T-90 tanks
- Shorts Notes
- PLASTIC HAZARDS
- NATIONAL AGRICULTURAL INSURANCE SCHEME
- ROAD TO A RESPONSIBLE GOVERNMENT- History Notes
- Supreme Court of India
- Economic Terms
- National Savings Certificate (NSC)
- USOF-Universal Service Obligation Fund
- 12th Finance Commission Recommendations
- Structure of Indian Money Market
- What is Currency swap?
- What is SDR?
- What is PL 480 Programme?
- What are Participatory Notes or the P-Notes?
- Fiscal Responsibility and Budget Management (FRBM
- Budget: Glossary of terms
- Functions Of RBI
- All about 123
- What is the greenhouse effect
- Fact Sheet : First In India (Female)
- Red corner notice
- Organizations listed as terrorist groups by India
- Public Interest Litigation(PIL)
- The Indian I.T. Act, Section 67-A
- QUIZ ON MAHATMA GANDHI
- Mughal India and Delhi Sultanat
- Vijaynagar Kingdom- points to remember
- SHORT NOTES-ECONOMY
- ISSUES INVOLVED IN IMPLEMENTING COMPULSORY PRIMARY...
- G-8 SUMMIT 2009
- MEGA FOOD PARK SCHEME
- The Pythian Games
- वेनेज़ुएला की सुंदरी बनी मिस यूनिवर्स
- AUGUST 23, 2009
- BANK JOBS
- PUNJAB NATIONAL BANK RECRUITMENT – PNB JOBS
- TEST YOUR GENERAL KNOWLEDGE
- An Essay: Legalising Prostitution in India
- An Essay: Corruption in India
- An Essay: Child Labour in India
- An Essay: Role of media in a democracy
- An Essay: Tsunami
- IAS negative marks: what to do
- How to prepare for indian polity mains
- Articles of the Constitution
- Directive Principles of State Policy
- Extracts fro...
- How to become an IAS/IPS officer?
- IAS Chat
- Legal Provisions for Protection and Conservation o...
- TAPPING SOLAR ENERGY
- Development and Promotion of Renewable Energy Sour...
- Foreign Direct Investment in India
- INDIA'S 'POWER': WEAKNESS=VIRTUE, STRENGTH=IMMORAL...
- CIVIL SERVICES BILL 2009
- Scam in power purchase : downside of privatisation...
- BRAVERY AWARDS
- विश्व नक्शे में आएगा भेड़ाघाट
- HOW MUCH RAMAYANA DO U KNOW
- Strategy For Sanskrit
- Press Trust of India
- Shah-Nanavati commission
- एशिया में खाद्यान्न संकट की चेतावनी
- श्रीलंका: विस्थापितों के हालात 'भयंकर'
- जलवायु परिवर्तन पर सख़्त चेतावनी
- भारत में 11 करोड़ और ग़रीब
- ▼ August (245)