चल मई बता देता हु ।
- The Indian Coast Guard is the fourth Armed force of India created to guard Republic of India's vast coastline
- similar to the other Para Military Forces of India such as the Border Security Force (BSF) and the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) which are all constituted as 'Armed Forces' of India (so is the Indian Coast Guard)
- Its primary objective is to guard India's vast coastline and operates under the effective control of the Ministry of Defense.
- The coast guard works closely with the Indian Navy and the Indian Customs Department, Fisheries department and the Police.
- India's coast guard has a large number of fast craft including hovercrafts and hydrofoils.
- They patrol the seas and river mouths.
- Heavy patrolling of sensitive areas such as Gujarat, West Bengal and Mumbai have resulted in the nabbing of a large number of smugglers and illegal immigrants.
- The major historic achievements of the service include the first ever recapture of a pirated ship at high seas, the MV Alondra rainbow.
Its responsibilities include:
- Enforcing the provisions of enactment in force in the maritime zones.
- Assisting the Customs and other authorities in anti-smuggling operations.
- To preserve & protect the marine environment and control marine pollution.
- Measures for safety of life and property at sea including aid to mariners in distress.
- Ensuring the safety & protection of artificial islands, offshore terminals and other installations in MR zones
- Assist the Indian Navy in times of war.
Motto: Vayam Rakshaamah -- "We Protect" in Sanskrit. (It is seen in Devanagari script on the coat of arms.)
- In 1974, the Government of India set out to create an autonomous coast guard to protect the nation's long coast line.
- modelled on the lines of the British (HMCG) and American (USCG) coast guards.
- An interim Indian Coast Guard was set up on February 1, 1977 equipped with modern weaponry and quick sea craft with the help of the Indian Navy.
- In 2006, the Indian Coast Guard conducted exercises with Japanese and Korean counterparts.
- In May 2005, the Indian Coast Guard agreed to set up liaison links with Pakistan Coast Guard which is formally known as the MSA Maritime Security Agency.
|Coast Guard Rank Structure||Equivalent Indian Navy Rank Structure|
|Director General||Vice Admiral|
|Inspector General||Rear Admiral|
|Deputy Inspector General+||Commodore|
|Deputy Inspector General||Captain|
|Commandant (Junior Grade)||Commander|
|Deputy Commandant||Lieutenant Commander|
|Assistant Commandant†||Acting Lieutenant|
- three Regional Headquarters at Mumbai, Chennai, and Port Blair
- one District headquarters in each of the nine coastal states and 2 in the Union territories of Andaman and Nicobar Islands and Lakshadweep Islands.
- Twenty nine Coast Guard stations at places like Vadinar, Haldia, Kakinada, Okha, Tuticorin and Mandapam.
- two air bases, in Daman and Chennai
- Air enclaves at Goa, Kolkata and Port Blair.
- A new station has been recently commissioned in Pondicherry
Surface vessels ( 83 are in service )
|Ship Class||Type||Origin||Displacement||In service||Notes|
|Sankalp class||Advanced Offshore Patrol Vessel||India||2300 tons||2|||
|Samar class||Advanced Offshore Patrol Vessel||India||2005 tons||4|
|Vikram class||Offshore Patrol Vessel||1220 tons||9|
|Samudra class||Pollution Control Vessel(PCV)||India||3300 tons||3|
|Jijabai Class||Inshore Patrol Vessels||200 tons||15|
|Vadyar Class||Interceptor Craft||2.4 tons||8|
|Bristol Class||Interceptor Craft||5.5 tons||4|
|Interceptor Boat||India||49 tons||10|
|Fast Patrol Vessel||215 tons||8|
|Extra Fast Patrol Vessel (XFPV)||India||270 tons||7|
|Seaward Defence Boat||203 tons||2|
|Inshore Patrol Craft||Republic of Korea||32 tons||5|
|Air Cushion Vehicle (Hovercraft)||United Kingdom||N.A.||6|
|Sankalp Class||Advanced Offshore Patrol Vessel||India||2230 tons||1 being built|
|Vishwast class||Offshore Patrol Vessel||India||1800 tons||1 launched |
+ 2 on order
|Inshore Patrol Vessel||India||275 tons||2 being built |
+ 3 on order
|Interceptor Boat||India||75 tons||1 being built |
+ 5 on order