|Christianity||Bethlehem, Israel: birthplace of Jesus |
Nazareth, Israel: where Jesus lived and began ministry
Jerusalem, Israel: where the early Church was started
|Catholic||The Vatican: also known as "Vatican City" and "The Holy See" (an independent state within Rome, Italy) [map]|
|Eastern Orthodox||Constantinople, Turkey: seat of the Patriarchate of Constantinople [photo gallery] |
Mt. Athos - Mt. Athos is a peninsula in eastern Greece (near Thesaloniki) that is extremely revered by Orthodox believers. It is inhabited exclusively by monastics. There are twenty large monasteries plus countless small sketes, brotherhoods and hermitages. It is a major pilgramage sight for Orthodox males.
|Anglican||Canterbury, England: seat of the Archbishop of Canterbury|
|Latter-day Saints||Salt Lake City, Utah: World headquarters of Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; site of Salt Lake Temple, Temple Square, Mormon Tabernacle, etc. |
Palmyra, New York: site of First Vision; city where Book of Mormon was first printed [map]
Kirtland, Ohio: site of first Latter-day Saint city; 1st temple
Nauvoo, Illinois: site of second Latter-day Saint city; 2nd temple (1st full-service temple) [map]
|Islam||Mecca, Saudi Arabia - destination of the hadj (or hajj) [map] |
Medina, Saudi Arabia
|Hinduism||Varanasi (Benares), India - on the banks of the River Ganges [photo gallery] |
|Buddhism||Lumbinil: birthplace of the Buddha |
Bodh Gaya: Where the Buddha reached enlightenment
Sarnath: Where the Buddha preached his first sermon
|Juche||P'yongyang, North Korea - seat of government; headquarters of the Juche Idea |
|Sikhism||Amritsar, Punjab, India - site of the Golden Temple |
|Judaism||Jerusalem, Israel: Holy city, site of the historic temple; Wailing Wall |
|Baha'i Faith||Haifa, Israel: world headquarters; site of holy historic events [photo gallery] |
|GLBT||Stonewall Inn, New York City: birthplace of the modern GLBT-rights movement (1969) |
|Tenrikyo||Tenri-shi, Japan: holy city and headquarters of Tenrikyo |
|Jainism||Palitana, Gujerat, India: where 838 Jain temples are on one mountian|
Sunday, September 13, 2009
- ► 2015 (40)
- ► 2014 (83)
- ► 2013 (220)
- ► 2012 (76)
- ► 2011 (140)
- ► 2010 (525)
- India and Denmark sign MoU on Labour Mobility Part...
- India Releases Guidelines for Sustaining the Himal...
- Gram Nyayalaya Act 2008 to come into effect from O...
- Govt plans to set up 4 spy schools
- Committee watch
- Hmm watch this
- Hmm watch this
- Sunday Dhamaka (Watch inspirational videos)
- MUST watch
- Chronology of Ancient Indian History
- Some Appointments this year
- How to read newspaper
- guide to G-20 communique
- IAF Inducts Rapid Action Mobile Medical Hospital
- Pharma exports up by 29% in 2008-09
- Target of 80 lakh tonne additional foodgrains fixe...
- National Mission on Monuments and Antiquities and ...
- Ms. K. Sujatha Rao to be Secretary Health & Family...
- Habitable moons 'could to be spotted by 2014
- Full Text of PM’s Remarks at the G-20 Meeting at P...
- Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Awards 2009 announced
- CONSTITUTION OF INDIA
- GK bits
- special - Maoists: We control 5,000 villages
- Indian Geography useful notes
- Trial of INA
- Sign akin to Indus Valley found in Kerala
- The ABC of N-subs
- Chronology of Modern Indian History
- Fundamental rights which are involved in the issue...
- General knowledge quiz (25 Q)
- Bhadant Anand Kauslayayan (Personality watch)
- IFS (origin,whereabouts,then,now)
- News Watch (with NDTV)
- रमेश कुमार ने इतिहास रचा
- परमाणु अप्रसार पर प्रस्ताव पारित
- Haier appoints new India head
- mjunction launches coal spot price index
- 13 Indian firms make it to the Forbes Asia list
- New INS chief
- Indian payload helped M3 detect water
- China regains FIBA-Asia title
- भारत ने बनाया नया परमाणु संयंत्र
- एड्स के ख़िलाफ़ अहम सफलता
- The Gas Authority of India Ltd(GAIL)
- What is 3G ?
- Interview Questions which may be asked in 2009
- Scientist Watch
- GS sample paper
- Year of India in Russia
- First meeting of the National Social Security Boar...
- Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Education for Peace & ...
- Greenland, Antarctica ice melt worsening, confirms...
- PSLV-C14 Launch
- Ministry plans 5,000 rural courts
- In stunning upset victory, woman to head UNESCO
- 7 In One Go
- भारत को विश्व बैंक से कर्ज़ मिला
- Geography bits
- Indian (Introduction):
- Nuclear Power and India
- Who's Who
- Gk Watch
- Latest Whos Who in World Organizations
- List of presidents of the party
- Black Hole of Calcutta
- World War II and “Quit India” (from Gandhiji's poi...
- Ghadar Movement
- Image by khalampre via Flickr Norman Borlaug Nor...
- Komagata Maru
- Famous Mughal Monuments in India
- Fabian Society
- Banana republic
- Press Conference by FS on PM’s visit to Pittsburgh...
- India-Belarus bilateral RELATION
- Lok Adalat
- Award Watch
- 150 years of Indian Telecommunication
- Game watch
- Book Watch
- Archaeological Survey of India and its latest exca...
- Rural-Urban Fringe
- Extension of the term of the Thirteenth Finance Co...
- Vice President Releases the Book “The Other India:...
- Mamata Banerjee flags off Sealdah - New Delhi firs...
- Shakti', `Sakhi' to save women
- Do You Know Your ABC's of Vitamins & Minerals?
- Monument watch
- Scientists devise wire-free heart pump
- 1ST ROCKY EXTRASOLAR PLANET FOUND
- New Japanese Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama
- India Paramilitary Forces
- RGGVY – lighting up rural areas
- MCA21 e-Governance Project
- Sowa-Rigpa : Amendment of the Indian Medicine Cent...
- Expert Committee to review the Motor Vehicle Act, ...
- Australia in list of countries with high carbon em...
- U.S. approves four vaccines for Influenza A(H1N1)
- ▼ September (289)