Lightning strikes about 6,000 times per minute on this planet!
-A chameleon's tongue is twice the length of its body.
-A chimpanzee can learn to recognize itself in a mirror, but monkeys can't.
-A rat can last longer without water than a camel can.
-About 10% of the world's population is left-handed.
-A typical bed usually houses over 6 billion dust mites.
-A person afflicted with hexadectylism has six fingers or six toes on one or both hands and feet
-A woodpecker can peck twenty times a second.
-A zebra is white with black stripes.
- Porpoises and dolphins communicate with each other by squeaking, growling, moaning, and whistling. Porpoises and dolphins are mammals. There are about 40 species or kinds of porpoises and dolphins. Most porpoises and dolphins navigate by using "echolocation". The largest member of the dolphin family is called an orca or killer whale.
- The hippopotamus gives birth under water and nurses its young in the river as well, though the young hippos do come up periodically for air.
-A cow gives nearly 200,000 glasses of milk in her lifetime
The world's largest mammal, the blue whale, weighs 50 tons at birth. Fully grown, it weighs as much as 150 tons.
The world's largest rodent is the Capybara. An Amazon water hog that looks like a guinea pig, it can weigh more than 100 pounds.
The world's smallest mammal is the bumblebee bat of Thailand, weighing less than a penny.
-- How the wind blows. As the sun warms the earth’s surface, the atmosphere warms too. Some parts of the earth receive direct rays from the sun all year and are always warm. Other places receive indirect rays, so the climate is colder. Warm air, which weighs less than cool air, rises. Then cool air moves in and replaces the rising warm air. This movement of air is what makes the wind blow.
- Dolphins sleep with one eye open!
--Why do we might feel warmer wearing a dark-colored jacket than a light-colored one? . Dark colors absorb light energy. Light colors and white reflect light energy. When light shines on your dark jacket, the jacket fabric absorbs light energy. The absorbed light energy causes electrons in the atoms of the jacket to vibrate. This activity releases heat energy, which makes the jacket—and you—warmer. That's why we like to wear more dark colors in winter and more light colors in summer.
-While sleeping, one man in eight snores, and one in ten grinds his teeth.
-At 188 decibels, the whistle of the blue whale is the loudest sound produced by any animal.
--A flute made of bone is the oldest playable musical instrument in the world. It’s a flute carved from a bird’s wing bone more than 9,000 years ago. The flute was discovered with other flutes at an ancient burial site in China.
- The fastest dog, the greyhound, can reach speeds of upto 41.7 miles per hour. The breed was known to exist in ancient Egypt 6,000 years ago
-- Glue dates back to prehistoric times. Artists once mixed colorings with raw eggs, dried blood, and plant juices to make sticky paints for cave murals. Later, ancient Egyptians and other people learned to make stronger glues by boiling animal bones and hides. Today companies make glues using synthetic substances.
-A cat sees about six times better than a human at night because of the tapetum lucidum , a layer of extra reflecting cells which absorb light.
-A cat uses whiskers to determine if a space is too small to squeeze through. The whiskers act as antennae, helping the animal to judge the precise width of any passage.
-A cat will clean itself with paw and tongue after a dangerous experience or when it has fought with another cat. This is an attempt by the animal to soothe its nerves by doing something natural and instinctive.
-The grizzly bear can run as fast as the average horse!!
- The female lion does more than 90% of the hunting while the male simply prefers to rest. !!
- A jellyfish is 95 percent water!
- At birth, a panda is smaller than a mouse and weighs about four ounces.
-Fingernails grow nearly 4 times faster than toenails!
-You blink over 10,000,000 times a year!
- Of all the words in the English language, the word ' set ' has the most definitions!
- The sun is 330,330 times larger than the earth!-
- Dogs and cats, like humans, are either right or left handed... or is that paws?!
- A giraffe can clean its ears with its 21-inch tongue!
- A crocodile cannot stick its tongue out.
-A cat's jaws cannot move sideways.
-More people are killed annually by donkeys than die in air crashes.
- "Go." is the shortest complete sentence in the English language
The vocabulary of the average person consists of 5,000 to 6,000 words.
- No word in the English language rhymes with "month".
- An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.
-An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.
The average person laughs about 15 times a day.
The average person walks the equivalent of twice around the world in a lifetime.
- All polar bears are left handed.
-Ants don't sleep.