| Set up in 1949, UNMOGIP was deployed in January of that year to supervise the ceasefire agreed between India and Pakistan in the State of Jammu and Kashmir. Since renewed hostilities in 1971, UNMOGIP monitors the ceasefire called for by the United Nations Security Council. |
In August 1947, India and Pakistan became independent. Under the scheme of partition provided by the Indian Independence Act of 1947, Kashmir was free to accede to India or Pakistan. Its accession to India became a matter of dispute between the two countries and fighting broke out later that year.
In January 1948, the Security Council adopted resolution 39 (1948), establishing the United Nations Commission for India and Pakistan (UNCIP) to investigate and mediate the dispute. In April 1948, by its resolution 47 (1948), the Council decided to enlarge the membership of UNCIP and to recommend various measures including the use of observers to stop the fighting. In July 1949, India and Pakistan signed the Karachi Agreement establishing a ceasefire line to be supervised by the observers. On 30 March 1951, following the termination of UNCIP, the Security Council, by its resolution 91 (1951) decided that UNMOGIP should continue to supervise the ceasefire in Kashmir. UNMOGIP's functions were to observe and report, investigate complaints of ceasefire violations and submit its finding to each party and to the Secretary-General.
At the end of 1971, hostilities again broke out between India and Pakistan. When a ceasefire came into effect again, a number of positions on both sides of the 1949 ceasefire line had changed hands. In July1972, India and Pakistan signed an agreement defining a Line of Control in Kashmir which, with minor deviations, followed the same course as the ceasefire line established by the Karachi Agreement in 1949. India took the position that the mandate of UNMOGIP had lapsed, since it related specifically to the ceasefire line under the Karachi Agreement. Pakistan, however, did not accept this position.
Given the disagreement between the two parties about UNMOGIP's mandate and functions, the Secretary-General's position has been that UNMOGIP could be terminated only by a decision of the Security Council. The military authorities of Pakistan have continued to lodge complaints with UNMOGIP about ceasefire violations. The military authorities of India have lodged no complaints since January 1972 and have restricted the activities of the UN observers on the Indian side of the Line of Control. They have, however, continued to provide accommodation, transport and other facilities to UNMOGIP.
Sunday, October 18, 2009
- ► 2015 (40)
- ► 2014 (83)
- ► 2013 (220)
- ► 2012 (76)
- ► 2011 (140)
- ► 2010 (525)
- ISRO, DRDO must step up internal vigilance, say ex...
- Sarojini Naidu
- Habeas Corpus Act 1679
- Magna Carta
- Navigator Watch
- Glorious Revolution
- Treaty Watch
- Treaty of PortsmouthFrom Wikipedia, the free encyc...
- Foreign History Watch
- Read Tehelka
- Current assets
- Empirical measures (wikipedia)
- APEC watch
- List of SAARC summits
- South Asian Free Trade Area
- National Disaster Management Authority
- India's Trade with Different Countries
- Integrated Housing and Slum Development Programme ...
- Moon Mineralogy Mapper (M3)
- UN Environment Programme (UNEP)
- Specialized agencies of the United Nations
- United Nations Security Council Resolution 1887
- Mao Zedong (Thoda chinese knowledge hona jaruri ha...
- Jara Chemistry ho jaaye(Source:About.com)
- Oviparous animals
- Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL)
- Iran–Iraq War
- Ministry of Steel
- Poultry Feed
- Fourth Estate
- Cloud computing(computer awareness)
- Exercise Yudh Abhyas 2009 in Babina, India
- Donate Blood
- India-US joint air force exercise begins in Agra
- LIMCA RECORD HOLDERS of IAF
- IAF Jaguars to conduct military exercise with Oman...
- Mahila Jagriti Yojana: Punjab
- News watch
- Climate Change
- आकाशवाणी पर विदेश सचिव का साक्षात्कार
- 2010 Commonwealth Games
- Home Cures And Popular Beliefs in India
- India at a Glance
- India China Infrastructure
- China and India — Is democracy the defining differ...
- Administrative divisions of China
- Suprise China and India, Two countries with simil...
- UN peace keeping operations
- Do u know?
- GK watch
- Quiz time
- download PUB AD notes click here
- India, Argentina sign n-deal, will triple trade by...
- UPSC to conduct CDS Examination (I) on 14th Feb 20...
- FACTS OF MAHATMA GANDHI!!!!!!!!
- 14th Oct, 2009 THE HEADLINES:
- Psychology Study Material: Stress Part-IV Stress ...
- India, China sign pact on transparency in trade
- THE INTERNATIONAL CENTER FOR ALTERNATE DISPUTE RES...
- Sociology Strategy
- Aerial Support for Countering Naxals
- Five year Plan Brief look
- SAM pitroda
- Quiz time
- Gk points
- Padma Awards 2009
- Bharat Nirman
- TIT bit
- Important Rivers India
- Lok Sabha TV Click on stop if u dont wanna ...
- Tits - Bits
- Tits - Bits
- U.S., Israel to conduct missile defense exercise i...
- Govt Schemes
- Ayushmati Yojna
- Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojna (RSBY)
- Various types of Index
- Animal Classes
- दिसंबर में होगा ब्रह्मोस-2 का परीक्षण
- Visit of MOS Dr. Shashi Tharoor to Bahrain
- Shri Bhagwant Singh Bishnoi to be the next Ambassa...
- M Thomas Mathew bags Vayalar Award
- Pitroda is PM's advisor on innovation
- Five year Plans Stating from the first five y...
- Readers Attention plz
- General mental ability
- General mental ability
- ▼ October (179)