Sept. 10: At the crack of dawn on Friday, Border Security Force buglers at the Attari-Wagah India-Pakistan border will welcome India’s first women troopers, who will simultaneously take up position at observation posts along both the Punjab and West Bengal frontiers.
The first batch of 178 BSF women, all aged between 18 and 25, who were inducted after a grand passing-out parade at Kharkan camp near Hoshiarpur, have already reached their designated positions and will begin duty in the morning.
"Of the first batch, 60 girls have been posted to West Bengal and the rest (118 troopers) to Punjab," BSF DIG (G Branch) Jagir Singh said.
The women troopers’ arrival comes as major relief for women belonging to farming families in Punjab’s border villages who can now join the men in working on farms across the electrified security fence. These women had not been able to cross this fence since it was constructed in the early 1990s since the BSF had no arrangements to be able to frisk and search females.
This will mean substantial savings for many small farmers who were forced to hire labour to till their farms on the Pakistan side.
Mr Jagir Singh said the new recruits will also handle normal travellers and be on duty during the daily retreat ceremony, attended by nearly 20,000 spectators every evening. "Though all trained in weaponry, the girls for the moment will not be deployed in combat roles and will not be required to carry arms," he added. The officer expla-ined that of the 700 women recruited into the BSF, two batches had completed their training. The remaining batches will be inducted in the coming months after completing their compress-ed 38-week training course at the Kharkan camp.
BSF units in Punjab have constructed special facilities, including private living quarters, independent recreational areas and even was-hrooms reserved for the "la-dies" in every office block.
Home » BITS » current affairs » Indian military » National Affairs » BSF women at Pak border from today
- ► 2015 (40)
- ► 2014 (83)
- ► 2013 (220)
- ► 2012 (76)
- ► 2011 (140)
- ► 2010 (525)
- India and Denmark sign MoU on Labour Mobility Part...
- India Releases Guidelines for Sustaining the Himal...
- Gram Nyayalaya Act 2008 to come into effect from O...
- Govt plans to set up 4 spy schools
- Committee watch
- Hmm watch this
- Hmm watch this
- Sunday Dhamaka (Watch inspirational videos)
- MUST watch
- Chronology of Ancient Indian History
- Some Appointments this year
- How to read newspaper
- guide to G-20 communique
- IAF Inducts Rapid Action Mobile Medical Hospital
- Pharma exports up by 29% in 2008-09
- Target of 80 lakh tonne additional foodgrains fixe...
- National Mission on Monuments and Antiquities and ...
- Ms. K. Sujatha Rao to be Secretary Health & Family...
- Habitable moons 'could to be spotted by 2014
- Full Text of PM’s Remarks at the G-20 Meeting at P...
- Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Awards 2009 announced
- CONSTITUTION OF INDIA
- GK bits
- special - Maoists: We control 5,000 villages
- Indian Geography useful notes
- Trial of INA
- Sign akin to Indus Valley found in Kerala
- The ABC of N-subs
- Chronology of Modern Indian History
- Fundamental rights which are involved in the issue...
- General knowledge quiz (25 Q)
- Bhadant Anand Kauslayayan (Personality watch)
- IFS (origin,whereabouts,then,now)
- News Watch (with NDTV)
- रमेश कुमार ने इतिहास रचा
- परमाणु अप्रसार पर प्रस्ताव पारित
- Haier appoints new India head
- mjunction launches coal spot price index
- 13 Indian firms make it to the Forbes Asia list
- New INS chief
- Indian payload helped M3 detect water
- China regains FIBA-Asia title
- भारत ने बनाया नया परमाणु संयंत्र
- एड्स के ख़िलाफ़ अहम सफलता
- The Gas Authority of India Ltd(GAIL)
- What is 3G ?
- Interview Questions which may be asked in 2009
- Scientist Watch
- GS sample paper
- Year of India in Russia
- First meeting of the National Social Security Boar...
- Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Education for Peace & ...
- Greenland, Antarctica ice melt worsening, confirms...
- PSLV-C14 Launch
- Ministry plans 5,000 rural courts
- In stunning upset victory, woman to head UNESCO
- 7 In One Go
- भारत को विश्व बैंक से कर्ज़ मिला
- Geography bits
- Indian (Introduction):
- Nuclear Power and India
- Who's Who
- Gk Watch
- Latest Whos Who in World Organizations
- List of presidents of the party
- Black Hole of Calcutta
- World War II and “Quit India” (from Gandhiji's poi...
- Ghadar Movement
- Image by khalampre via Flickr Norman Borlaug Nor...
- Komagata Maru
- Famous Mughal Monuments in India
- Fabian Society
- Banana republic
- Press Conference by FS on PM’s visit to Pittsburgh...
- India-Belarus bilateral RELATION
- Lok Adalat
- Award Watch
- 150 years of Indian Telecommunication
- Game watch
- Book Watch
- Archaeological Survey of India and its latest exca...
- Rural-Urban Fringe
- Extension of the term of the Thirteenth Finance Co...
- Vice President Releases the Book “The Other India:...
- Mamata Banerjee flags off Sealdah - New Delhi firs...
- Shakti', `Sakhi' to save women
- Do You Know Your ABC's of Vitamins & Minerals?
- Monument watch
- Scientists devise wire-free heart pump
- 1ST ROCKY EXTRASOLAR PLANET FOUND
- New Japanese Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama
- India Paramilitary Forces
- RGGVY – lighting up rural areas
- MCA21 e-Governance Project
- Sowa-Rigpa : Amendment of the Indian Medicine Cent...
- Expert Committee to review the Motor Vehicle Act, ...
- Australia in list of countries with high carbon em...
- U.S. approves four vaccines for Influenza A(H1N1)
- ▼ September (289)