What is CLIMATE VIOLENCE ?
- Violence caused on the environment and climate due to various ecological disputes and conflicts among human beings even for the basic resources such as water and forests is called climate violence.
- India has been said to be at the top of climate violence as maximum number of conflicts have been reported from here.
- Some of these conflicts are related to water management,fossil fuels and climate justice,industrial and utilities conflicts,tourism recreation and biodiversity conflicts.
|India , Nigeria and Colombia rank among TOP in CLIMATE VIOLENCE !!|
REASONS FOR CLIMATE VIOLENCE IN INDIA-
- With a population of 125 crores and scarcity of resources conflicts are bound to arise as people are struggling for survival.
- For examples,poor people in Delhi's winter will definitely make use of bonfire no matter if it is polluting cities and causing breathing problems in others.
2.Thrust on Industrialization-
- Due to competition and various relaxed norms industries are booming up resulting into violence.for example-leather industries in Kanpur are polluting Ganga.
- Now,if Ganga's water is not potable,then people will shift to other water resources and hence polluting them.
- Also people of nearby industries will have to be relocated to other regions leading to many construction activities and hence pollution.
3.Industrial units exploiting loopholes in environmental clearances-
- Unholy nexus between bureaucrats,politicians and industrialists for getting EIA done is also contributing factor in such violence.
4.Bad management of resources-
- Resources are few and demand are many leading again to conflicts.for example,scarcity of water resources has led to shortage.
- This resulted into appropriation of water sources and channels by industrial units with political nexus.