Jupiter is the largest planet in the sun’s family. It looks like a very bright star, a little brighter than any of the other stars. The diameter of Jupiter is 87,000 miles; nearly 11 times the diameter of the earth and Jupiter weighs as much as 318 times that of earth. Because it weighs so much, it has greater pull of gravity. Jupiter turns on its axis very fast. Day and night together are only 10 hours long. It takes Jupiter around 12 of our years to go once round the Sun, because it is so far away – 483 million miles, more than five times as far from the sun as the earth is. The air on Jupiter is very deep. It is composed of poisonous gasses like Methane and Ammonia. There are high winds and many clouds on Jupiter. The temperature of the air is 200 degrees below Fahrenheit. Because it is so cold, and because the air would be poisonous to us, we can’t live on Jupiter.
Answer the following Questions based on the above English Passage:
1. How much is the distance between Sun and the Jupiter?
2. Why is life not possible on Jupiter?
3. What is the duration of day and night on Jupiter?
4. How the diameter and weight of Jupiter compares with earth?
5. How much time Jupiter takes to complete one round of Sun?
6. What does an Axis means? Select the correct answer:
(a) A line around which an object spins
(b) A point around which an object spins
(c) A line along which an object moves
Answers to Questions
1. The distance between Sun and Jupiter is 483 million miles.
2. The life is not possible on Jupiter as the temperature is very cold, around -200 degrees below Fahrenheit and the atmosphere contains poisonous gasses like Methane and Ammonia.
3. The day and night together are 10 hours long on Jupiter.
4. The diameter and weight of Jupiter is nearly 11 times and 318 times that of earth.
5. Jupiter takes around 12 of our years in completing one round of Sun.
6. (a) A line around which an object spins.